Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why JavaScript helpers in rails are evil

Ruby on Rails gained so much attention and appreciation mostly because it simplifies the development process of AJAX-driven applications. When I started to learn Rails I was already very familiar with other MVC-based frameworks, and actually I’ve created one myself (in PHP5) in my previous work. My framework also uses Prototype JavaScript library, so when l was learning Rails it was nothing new when I saw “Ajax.Updater(...)”. I remember that when I added first AJAX-feature in the Depot (it’s a tutorial application used in well known “Agile Web Development in Ruby on Rails” book) I was shocked about how simple it is, but then I looked into the HTML output and it shocked me once more…

http://blog.solnic.eu/2007/10/30/why-javascript-helpers-in-rails-are-evil

No comments: